Pavlos Aristodemou Managing Partner
Expertise and Professional Background
Pavlos Aristodemou is the Managing Partner of Harneys’ Cyprus office and is one of the three founding partners of Aristodemou Loizides Yiolitis, which merged with Harneys in 2009. He practises in banking and finance, private equity, capital markets and corporate tax law. His client base includes financial institutions and corporates throughout the world. He is often instructed by leading international and magic circle law firms and acts for international banks in connection with syndicated loans, pre-export finance agreements and aircraft purchase and leasing agreements. Pavlos is also involved in corporate and company law matters involving, but not limited to, due diligence for Cyprus companies.
Pavlos is a member of the Cyprus Bar Association, the International Tax Planning Association, and the national representative of AIJA (International Association of Young Lawyers) in Cyprus. He has published articles in the International Tax Review, UK legal periodicals, and international publications of the International Centre of Commercial Studies. He is also a speaker at many international conferences.
Pavlos is consistently ranked as one of the leading corporate lawyers in the jurisdiction by Chambers and Partners, Legal 500, IFLR 1000, and Who's Who Legal.
Pavlos’ recent experience includes:
- Advising Rosneft, Russia’s largest oil and gas firm, on all aspects of numerous elements of its business lines, including, in 2017, advising Rosneft on a restructuring/sale of CIS assets in Russia and the Ukraine to a third party oil and gas firm
- Advising the sellers in connection with the acquisition of BZRK Limited, which owns bazaraki.com, the biggest online classified ads website in Cyprus, by Larixon Classifieds Ltd
- Advising Advent International plc, as financial sponsor, on India’s first synthetic INR-denominated margin loan
- Advising Public Joint Stock Company Chelyabinsk Pipe plant (ChelPipe) on a secured financing of up to RUB 80 billion to refinance ChelPipe Group’s existing syndicated loan
- Advising Black Sea agribusiness company the Kernel group in relation to a Eurobond issue priced at $500 million aggregate principal amount of 8.75 per cent Notes due 31 January 2022 and guaranteed by Cypriot entities
- Advising Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited, ANZ Fiduciary Services Pty Ltd, Credit Suisse AG, Sydney Branch, ING Bank N.V. Singapore Branch in relation to a $385 million secured term loan facility agreement granted to ASX-listed SpeedCast International Limited, SpeedCast Limited and SpeedCast Australia Pty Limited (Speedcast)
- Advising Alcentra and Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) in connection with the £149 million refinancing, secured by various security assets, of First Names Group, in a transaction which provides new, long-term sustainable financing opportunities as First Names Group continues to seek potential acquisitions
Chambers and Partners: Pavlos is described as being “proactive and practically creative” by Chambers Global while Chambers Europe describes him as “very sharp, focused, efficient and commercial”; he is also lauded for his “ability to identify problems and offer feasible and effective solutions to clients”. Pavlos offers considerable banking and finance knowledge, and frequently advises corporate clients and financial institutions on deals involving elements of private equity, capital markets and tax law.
Legal 500: Legal 500 recognises Pavlos as a leading individual for banking and finance matters in Cyprus, describing his practice as “top-notch”. He is also recommended for corporate and commercial work.
IFLR 1000: Pavlos is ranked as a “leading lawyer” by IFLR 1000.
Who's Who Legal: Pavlos is recognised as being amongst the world’s leading banking and finance lawyers in Cyprus by Who’s Who Legal 2016.
Best Lawyers: Pavlos is also recommended by Best Lawyers in Cyprus.
Education & Admissions
Oxford Brookes University (LLB) 1999
Boston University (LLM) 2000
Banking and Finance
Corporate and Commercial
Restructuring and Insolvency
Tax and Regulatory
Shipping and Aircraft
Cyprus Banking & Finance
Cyprus can offer a solution to international firms and institutions seeking certainty over access to the EU Single Market.
The most pressing Brexit concern for UK-based credit and financial institutions relates to the terms on which they will... read more
Harneys recently acted for TCS Group Holding PLC, the 100 per cent parent company of Tinkoff Credit Systems Bank (TCS Bank) in relation to an offering of global depositary receipts (GDRs). This included an application for the admission of the GDRs to the... read more