Paul Sephton Partner
+852 5806 7877
+852 9732 7731
Expertise and Professional Background
Paul Sephton is a Partner in the Finance & Corporate department of Harneys in Hong Kong.
Paul advises leading onshore law firms, major international financial institutions and listed and private companies. He specialises in debt finance advising on a range of financial products including leveraged finance, margin lending, acquisition finance, pre-IPO finance, take-private transactions, bond issuances, convertible instruments, derivative transactions, property finance and syndicated lending.
Paul has significant offshore experience having previously worked as Counsel in the finance team of Walkers’ Hong Kong office. Prior to moving offshore, Paul worked at Allen & Overy in London from 2004 to 2011 before moving to Linklaters in Hong Kong. During his time at Allen & Overy and Linklaters, Paul undertook secondments with Barclays' legal team in London and with Standard Chartered’s leveraged finance team in Hong Kong.
Paul is regarded as one of the top offshore finance lawyers operating in Asia. His strong standing in the market is reflected by the quality of the deals on which he has been instructed, his top tier client base and his recognition in leading legal directories. He has been recognised as one of the top ten offshore lawyers in Asia for client service by Asian Legal Business and is recommended by Legal 500.
Paul’s recent experience includes:
- Advising on Studio City Company Limited’s Rule 144A/Regulation S international offering of senior secured notes due 2019 and senior secured notes due 2021, and its super senior revolving credit facility. The deal was named High Yield Deal of The Year at the IFLR Asia Awards in 2017
- Advising Deutsche Bank on its financing to Intime International Holdings Limited in relation to the joint acquisition (by way of Cayman scheme of arrangement) with Alibaba for Intime Retail (Group) Company Limited
- Advising Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Asia) Limited on the US$1 billion financing to Melco Investment Resources Limited in relation to the purchase of certain shares in Melco Crown Entertainment Limited
- Advising the joint lead managers on Yuzhou Properties’ series of High Yield Bond Offerings
- Advising CTBC Bank Co., Ltd. on its loan facility to Bain Capital Rise Education Limited
- Advising Morgan Stanley on its loan facility to Bain Capital VXI Cayman Ltd
Paul Sephton is recommended by Legal 500
“Paul is very responsive and hands on, and one of the most commercial offshore lawyers in the market
” and “Paul is a standout service provider. He and his team know what we need and know that delivery is the key to success for an offshore practice. He rolls his sleeves up and gets on with getting whatever you need to you as soon as possible, and is always available
” states clients -IFLR 1000 2018
Education & Admissions
Nottingham Law School 2004
Leicester (LLB) 2003
England & Wales 2006
British Virgin Islands 2016
Banking and Finance
Harneys advised entertainment resort Studio City Company Limited (SCC) on its Rule 144A/Regulation S international offering of senior secured notes due 2019 and senior secured notes due 2021, and its HK$233 million super senior revolving credit facility... read more