Joshua Mangeot Associate
+1 284 852 4387
+1 284 346 9653
Expertise and Professional Background
Joshua Mangeot advises leading global law firms, businesses, financial institutions and high net-worth individuals on British Virgin Islands law. He has broad experience in company and partnership law, corporate governance, reorganisations, joint ventures, cross-border transactions, banking and finance, private equity funds and collective investment vehicles, financial regulation, regulatory investigations and commercial disputes.
Josh has a particular interest in complex cross-border transactions and joint ventures, emerging markets natural resources and telecommunications transactions, private equity acquisitions and company law aspects of contentious settlements. Josh also has an interest in developments in international taxation and financial regulation. Josh’s clients “appreciate his intellect, approachable manner and pragmatic approach”.
Josh’s experience includes:
- advising on corporate and financing aspects of Cerberus Capital’s £70 million acquisition of the Clyde Shopping Centre in Glasgow
- acting as BVI counsel for an NYSE listed natural asset conglomerate in relation to its US$1.6 billion secured facilities
- advising Bank of Asia on the establishment and licensing of its BVI banking business
- advising Manchester Airport Group on its £1.2 billion financing to acquire Stansted Airport
- advising a Swiss alternative investment manager with AUM of over US$500 million on the formation and operation of BVI close-ended investment vehicles
- acting for a CIS natural resources operator on BVI corporate aspects of a complex fraud settlement
- advising several major financial services providers on BVI regulatory issues and Financial Services Commission enforcement actions
- assisting clients with FATCA, UK CDOT and CRS entity classification, reporting and compliance
Prior to moving to the BVI in 2014, Josh was an associate at Slaughter and May. He also completed a secondment at the Financial Markets Law Committee (FMLC) established by the Bank of England, where he gained experience in financial regulatory issues.
Education & Admissions
University of Cambridge, Gonville & Caius (History BA) 2006
Harvard University (Kennedy Scholar, non-degree) 2007
University of Law (LLB) 2009
England & Wales 2012 (not practising)
British Virgin Islands 2014
Banking and Finance
Corporate and Commercial
Tax and Regulatory
This article examines the key BVI legal considerations for activist shareholders considering investing in a BVI company.
Shareholder activism is an increasingly global phenomenon. Estimates suggest assets under management (AUM) by activist... read more