James Noble Partner
Litigation & Restructuring
+852 5806 7834 (Hong Kong)
+1 345 949 8599 (Cayman Islands)
+852 6929 9472
Expertise and Professional Background
James is a leading Cayman and BVI litigation lawyer based in Asia where he specialises in complex and high value shareholder litigation, asset recovery, cross border enforcement and insolvency.
James, who is recommended by Legal 500, regularly acts in high profile and market leading cases, particularly in connection with companies listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange.
James has nearly 20 years of experience working in a wide variety of commercial disputes including financial services litigation, trust and estate disputes and insolvency and restructuring. James also advises clients on litigation funding in the offshore courts.
James' experience includes:
- Acting for a major shareholder in China Shanshui Cement Group Limited (CSC), a Cayman company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange with assets of more than 3 billion US dollars. Harneys were successful in opposing an application by the directors of CSC to present a petition to wind up the company on just and equitable grounds. In achieving this result, the Cayman Court delivered a landmark decision on the application of section 94 of the Cayman Companies Law
- Acting in BVI proceedings for the estate of a Russian oligarch to recover assets which were misappropriated in breach of trust
- Advising a Cayman company listed on the Hong Kong stock Exchange on the scope of the joint provisional liquidators’ powers in circumstances where the appointment was restricted to investigating the company’s affairs and protecting its assets pending determination of the petition. It was a limited appointment which gave rise to complex issues of conflict between the powers vested in the provisional liquidators and those which were held by the Board of the company
- Acting on behalf of an investor who placed $130 million in a hedge fund program administered by an international bank. The proceedings culminated in a two month trial in the Financial Services Division of the Cayman Grand Court and involved allegations of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of trust and various statutory infringements
- Advising shareholders of a BVI company in relation to claims of unfair prejudice arising out of the wrongful conversion of preference shares;
- Acting for multiple creditors in relation to the $56 million liquidations of two Cayman funds in the Sextant Group
- Advising a Middle Eastern bank on its rights and liabilities as an investor in an Islamic finance arrangement and appointing receivers to preserve the assets held by the Cayman investment vehicle
Law Society of England and Wales
New South Wales Law Society
James Noble is recommended by Legal 500.
Education & Admissions
University of Sydney (LLM) 2006
University of Technology (LLB) 2000
University of Technology (Practice Legal Training) 2000
University of Sydney (BSc) 1996
New South Wales 2000
Federal Court of Australia 2003
Cayman Islands 2010
England and Wales 2011
British Virgin Islands 2012
Hong Kong Litigation
Harneys recently acted for the successful claimant on an application for her costs of a discontinued strike out application which was brought by the defendants as part of an ongoing multi-jurisdictional family dispute. The claimant’s... read more
Harneys is pleased to announce that it has forged a new path in Cayman Islands law, acting for the applicant in obtaining the Grand Court’s approval of a third party litigation funding agreement.
The Grand Court’s ruling in A Company v A... read more